Sunday, September 28, 2014

Truth be told!

The truth is that over the last 2 years I have stopped exercising as much as I use to, I have eaten out more than I care to admit, and finally, I have sat on my rump almost all day everyday.  I used to be very fit and active.  I would run 4 miles a day, do 200 sit ups, and 120 push ups.  I tried to go to my Taekwondo facility as often as I could, meaning everyday, sometimes even multiple times a day.

Then I got the big idea to get my MBA.  My husband was super supportive and even did the MBA with me.  However, because I am not that smart, it took me all day to get through my studies.  Which meant I had to stop exercising, sit on my rump, and not have time to make dinner.  I feel that I had a good excuse.  Well, that good excuse cost me 15 unwanted lbs and a lot of inches around the waist.  Remember muscle weighs more than fat!

I have gotten lazy and out of shape.  I really want to nip this gaining weight thing in the butt before it gets out of hand.  I always told myself that I would get back into shape right after the MBA was over.  Well it has been over 3 months and I am still sitting round on the couch dreading doing any exercise.  Hopefully this blog will keep me honest, fit, and healthy.

I believe that everyone really knows what they need to be doing to be healthy and fit.  I am not trying to go on any speical diet or starve myself.  I did that a few years ago and I think it messed with my head a little.  I wound up doing and thinking things that I would never have done or thought if I was not starving myself.  I would skip breakfast, eat a small salad for lunch, then only eat a small dinner.  Keep in mind I was running 4 miles, doing 200 sit ups, and 120 push ups, and exercising at the Taekwondo facility as often as I could while eating so little.  Not good for cultivating healthy habits.

I actually think that doing the MBA was a blessing in disguise.  It got me to break those awful habits and now I am free to cultivate new healthy habits.  I get to start from scratch!  I am not in anyway saying that my way is going to be the best.  I am not a nutritionist or a fitness instructor.  I just believe that if you do what you know you should be doing then you will not only feel better but look better too!

Before I started school I was 135 lbs.  I do not know what my waist was but I was fitting into size small clothing which felt amazing.  Now I am at 150.4 lbs and fit into a size large clothing.  Yes, only 15 lbs of weight gain but a Large for clothing!  I feel fat, I look large in photos, and I am not exercising as much as I should.

I do believe though that one of the best things that I learned in my MBA came from reading



From Anshel I learned the following:

1. health behavior change is among the most difficult outcomes to achieve 

2. established mental and physical health benefits of exercise are minimal unless a person engages in aerobic exercise..performed at least three times per week for a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes.

3. Most individuals struggle with making the time and effort to exercise regularly.  Thus, a person who is surrounded by one or more friends or family members who habitually exercise is more likely to exercise regularly 

4. perceived behavioral control, that is, an individual’s perception that he or she has the resources (i.e., skill and ability) and the opportunity to perform the behavior or to attain the goal. 

5. exercisers who do not experience rapid success, that is, meet goals quickly, will presume that the task is of
insurmountable difficulty and quit exercising

6. vigorous exercise requires effort and some degree of physical discomfort in order to obtain the well-known benefits.

7. Overweight and obese individuals who are active and fit have lower rates of disease and death than overweight and obese individuals who are inactive and unfit

8. Overweight or obese individuals who are active and fit are less likely to develop obesity-related chronic diseases and have early death than normal weight persons who lead sedentary lives

9. Inactivity and low cardiorespiratory fitness are as important predictors of mortality as being overweight or obese

10. researchers found that a person’s decision to exercise should not be associated with weight loss.
This is because exercise itself, even if not accompanied by a loss in weight or body fat, results in very similar physiological benefits as for persons who are not overweight or obese. Thus, engaging in aerobic forms of exercise, then, is the most important factor to good health and lower rate of disease rather than being consumed with weight control, especially through dieting but not exercising. 

11.  walking at least three miles an hour for at least 20 consecutive minutes can improve cardiovascular fitness

12.  having exercisers keep records is central to promoting intrinsic motivation through the perception of competence. 

With this all said number 10 bums me out.  I want to loose weight!  But I want to feel good about myself and not be tired all the time.  So I will set my goals and I will not have weight be an issue.  I remember when I started Taekwondo 5 years ago I was 135 lbs.  I never lost any weight doing all the exercise and dieting that I did back then but I lost inches and gained muscle.   So I will resign to the fact that I am now a 150 lb woman but I will look good and feel good!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment